Saturday, August 22, 2009

Stewart BC & Hyder Alaska

Jane's turn to cook dinner, so I have been let loose to do the blog again. I will try not to make it another epic. !!!!!


Jane on the Yukon River walk

Whilst in Whitehorse, we all went for a walk along the Yukon River, starting just a short drive from the campground, in the direction of Whitehorse. We walked along the river bank for about 2 hours, before turning round and heading back to the car. It really was a pleasant walk, with some spectacular views of the Yukon River. When we returned to the motorhome, we were surprised to find we had received an e mail from cousin Glen, saying he was back home from Skagway. The weather had beaten him, and the wind and rain had sent him and little Rosie back home. Chris and Jane had made arrangements to meet up with Pat, for an afternoons "Girlie shopping", so Mark and I drove up to his house on picturesque Kookatsoon Lake. As usual he made us very welcome, with a home brewed beer served in his bar. He also showed us his wind powered generator he was in the middle of making, and his 1926 kerosene powered engine. Of course Jane had the camera with her, so I took no pictures, but Glen kindly sent us a couple.


Mark and I in "The Bar" at Glens house



With Glens wind powered generator



1926 3hp. McCormick Deering
Kerosene Engine
We said our goodbyes to Glen and made our way to Pat and Bobs house ( Marks sister in law) for a delicious supper, and to collect our bikes. We left them with Bob and Pat while we travelled to Alaska. We also helped celebrate Bill's 84th birthday. Bill is a dear friend of Pat and Bobs. More goodbyes, and back to the motorhome for a good nights sleep.

We were up and on our way by 9am, after filling the motorhomes with diesel fuel, @.96 a litre, heading for Jade City on the Cassiar Hwy. Apart from some awful road surfaces at the start of the Cassiar, not much to report. The Alaska Hwy was almost in perfect condition, and quite a pleasing drive. We arrived in Jade City in plenty of time to do some Jade shopping. The store allows its customers, and we soon became customers, to stay in their parking lot overnight. We moved our motorhomes onto the parking lot, and I began to level the coach. Except nothing happened. Following a quick investigation, I found a wire had come free from the main power feed to the hydraulics. I needed a new terminal connector, which neither I or Mark had, so we had to do without for the night. Not too much of a problem, as the parking lot was fairly level.




The Parking lot at Jade City. Our view from the
front window.
Following another great meal from Chris, the girls really do us proud when it comes to cooking supper, Mark and I resumed normal procedure, at last, by thrashing the girls at Canasta.
Next day we were on the road pretty early, although Jane had to make one last visit to the jade store. A bit of trivia here, the Jade from this area of BC, supplies 95% of the worlds Jade.
Mark led us off on quite an unremarkable drive, the scenery was pretty good and the road, apart from about 30km which was "crap" was not bad. We refueled at Dease lake, and then the road became great. We made quite good time up to the turn off for Stewart, when we slowed down to take in the great views, in particular those of Bear Glacier.


Our Home at the foot of Bear Glacier

This bear came into the car park right next
to us, then went down the bank and into the
river.


This huge Grizzly, catching a fish.



The following photographs are of our 23
mile, one way, trip up the mountain, to
Salmon Glacier.
The views, despite the weather, are superb.




I'm not saying the roads are bad.
BUT saw this on the side of the road.
A few blow outs........



One of the large drain pipes to take the water under the road.


Jane made hot chocolate for us all.


"WOW" Views to die for


I thought this photo of Jim looked so calming.


Jane just had to climb the glacier.
______________________________________

The following 2 are of Hyder, Alaska.
No Immigration Officers at the
border crossing into USA ??????



One very dirty car







No comments: