Today is Sunday, and we are still here in Chicken Alaska. Those who have visited Chicken may wonder what the heck we are still doing in Chicken, here after 4 nights. Apart from "Gold Panning" what else is there to do? Well, that's it, there is not much else. But Jane Mark and Chris have spent many an hour panning for that elusive gold. Mark has finally got his laptop to log on to the Internet, after many fruitless attempts.
Chicken has a store, Post Office, small restaurant, and a "Bar". If any one is interested in having their underwear blasted out of a cannon, yes that's right "A Cannon", then visit the bar in Chicken and all will be revealed.
You may have noticed it was Jane Mark and Chris doing the gold panning. Well I (Jim) have had a go, but I'm afraid I don't have the patience. Even though I did find some gold. So Jane's collection is now Our Collection. I have spent the days relaxing, catching up on a book I was reading, surfing the web, and talking to the family back home by way of instant messages on line.
Tomorrow we leave, finally, and drive just 80 miles to Tok. There we hope to replenish our food stocks, and clean some of the muck from the motor homes and tow vehicles.
Before I leave this segment of the blog, what do I think of Chicken?
If I were to do it again, I would only stay a maximum of 3 days. The campground, while pleasing on the eye, is lacking in basic amenities. i.e water. There is electricity as advertised, 15amp, but only on line between about 7.30am., and 8.30pm. (Not advertised). The rates are $10 no hook-ups, $18 electric hook-up. $8 for 15amp electric, 13hrs a day is not good value for money.
I did enjoy the tour of the Pedro Dredge, though again, $8 for the privilege I thought was a little steep. Of course everything that is available in the store has to be brought from Fairbanks, a distance of about 280 miles, so the prices are quite high.
Yes, we enjoyed our stay in Chicken, were made to feel really welcome. Glad we came, but I don't think I will want to come back.

3 comments:
Maybe you can get 30 amps for some of that gold! Have fun!!
Hiya Jim & Jane, We 0nly stayed one day at Chicken (at a large pull out south of town) when we were there in 2004. We agree that in town amenities were too costly.
Take care.
Early & Cyn Munday
Hiya Jim & Jane, We 0nly stayed one day at Chicken (at a large pull out south of town) when we were there in 2004. We agree that in town amenities were too costly.
Take care.
Early & Cyn Munday
Post a Comment