Friday, November 18, 2011

Benidorm

Some times you hear the name of a place you have never been too, and you get a picture in your mind of it. Some times its a nice picture and some times its not, but for some reason or another, you dont put your self out to go. Well today we woke up to rain, and Jim said, "lets go to Benidorm.........". Well Benidorm to me was not a place I have ever wanted to go. In the late 70s it was the place to go if you only wanted sun and beer all day. And stay in a high rise. Not my cup of tea. Anyway, we set off this morning, the rain stopped as we got there, so we parked the the car and set on off on foot to have a look round. We did not bother to take the camara, as we thought there would not be anything we wanted to take a picture of. WELL. The sun came out, and the beach was so clean and the old streets were very busy and alive. We had a great walk, and yes, there was still a few bars full of topless men drinking beer, but all in all it was not as bad as I had imanged. I have put a few old pictures, I found them on Google, below.
On the way home we drove the coast road, the N332, and the rain started again as we got to Torrevieja. By the time we got to San Pedro, about 15 km, the roads were under water. We made a decision to get off the coast road, and onto the auto pista, for the last few miles home.
This is the main road, the N 332 through the centre of San Pedro, it was like driving through a fast flowing river, and just a little worrying. There was just one road we had to do a "U" turn and find an alternate route, it was just too deep, and flowing too fast to risk going through. No pictures of that I'm afaraid, I was too busy looking for another way to go, and forgot the camara.

No comments: